Tuesday 12 August 2008

Vanish (Tess Gerritsen)

This was a story of woe, pain and unimaginable suffering. I could never imagine what it would be like leaving my country to end up in a brothel being forced to do things I dont even want to describe. It's an awful truth that the author hones in on in this book. It isnt the central focus but the dark, honest undertones remain throughout the story, and at one point later on in the book I found I could not sleep as I could not shake the image that Tess Gerritsen so vividly portrays.

The central characters are ones I have met before in the Surgeon. Jane Rizzoli the hard core, kick ass female detective, I didn't warm to her so much in the Surgeon but in this one she still has that kick ass quality about her without seeming sometimes a little too defensive about being a woman, it's refreshing and a very good character to relate to and follow loyally throughout the whole story. The quiet cop Thomas not a central role in this story but it is a welcome cameo from the surgeon as the readers can see how his life has progressed since that tale and how close him and Jane have become. There are newer characters the Medical Examiner who is a strong female lead character, but who never really opens up in this tale, hopefully she'll appear in others. And the doting, dutiful FBI agent Gabriel, I grew fond of his character you really can feel for his plight and his frustration as the story unfolds. Also Tess Gerritsen manages to convey the darkest fears of any husband and parent so effectively you feel as though it is your loved ones at risk your fears.

I liked this book, despite the darkness it had a sense of justice about it something I could relate to but that would keep me thinking for weeks afterward, just what does go on behind closed doors, and the abuse that plagues our society and young girls bought and sold as though they were material items, and how people calling out for help to be heard can be thought of as terrorists. It's thought provoking, dark, gory and will make you cringe, but again I recommend this one a thoroughly gripping read beginning to end.

1 Comment:

  1. Valielen said...
    Unlike some of Gerritsen's other books, I did not feel compelled to read this book in one go or the need to hide under the covers before sleep at night.
    However, I read it and savoured it every day until the last page arrived.
    The story was very vivid and rang very close to reality if not an exact portrait of the documentaries I occasionally watch regarding human trafficking.
    I also love seeing characters grow throughout different books so I have become a Gerritsen follower.

Post a Comment