Friday 1 August 2008

Tess Gerritsen - The Surgeon

I had never heard of this author before if I am to be honest. A friend from work lets call her the book master :) let me borrow her copy as she thought I would like it.

The Surgeon is a thriller novel, all about a serial killer who stalks and preys on women who live alone. It focuses in on the deepest darkest fears I imagine most women have had at some point in their lives. For myself it's the sort of fears that are always present in the back of my mind, when reading this book it felt like the situations had been plucked out the darkest recesses of my mind and laid bare for all to see. It's a revealing book and gives a disturbing insight into the mind of a serial killer without ever really getting too close. During the time I was reading it I was moving to my own place for the first time, so these fears were much more prominent but even so I could not put this book down!

The main characters are well constructed and thoughtfully written. The women are strong, independent yet very different from each other. They represent different aspects that I feel most women have, strength and yet a vulnerability most women don't like to put on display. The story focuses mostly on these specific crimes against certain women, focusing mainly on one central character, however this does not mean the male characters are forgotten about. The central male character was my favourite character by the end of the book as; even as a woman I could relate to him and empathise with him throughout the story.

In all it's a superbly written book one I would definitely recommend but since reading it I no longer sleep with the windows unlocked that's for certain :). Tess Gerritsen has gone deep into my psyche and has torn apart the safe world which I thought I lived in, it really makes you think about the people you see everyday at work and in social situations, do you really know what they are thinking even as they shake your hand? The possibilities are endless and terrifying.

This one is a keeper!

1 Comment:

  1. Valielen said...
    She does have a way of writing things that makes me not want to put the book down. Not sure whether to thank or curse the Book Master for introducing this author to me as now I want to read every single book from Tess Gerritsen. I have yet to read the surgeon but I am sure I will enjoy it thoroughly even if I am too terrified to sleep without the lights on afterwards.

Post a Comment