Wednesday 1 April 2009

Jon Katz - A Dog Year

I picked this book up from the MIL's shelf when I had finished Patricia Cornwell's "Postmortem" at the start of my weekend away. I may write about it later.

The author wrote about his experience with a very troubled Border Collie.
I thought it would be a bit of frivolous reading to avoid my boredom. It was afterall, nothing more than a guy's experience on raising a Border Collie (I have one too... Big Deal!). I read the introduction where the author mentions all the dogs he had before and I itched to read more. I was surprised but put it to the fact that I love dogs, so it would only be natural to want to read more about them.

Jon Katz managed to drag me into his life and feel what he felt even without seeing what he saw. His emotional honesty was humbling and brave. It was very personal and made me feel like I was just a friend listening to him tell his tale. I laughed when he was happy or annoyed at "things that dogs do" and I cried when he suffered.

I can't forget that it wasn't just his writing that got me interested in the book. Devon (the trouble dog) is the most amazing (real) dog I ever read or heard about. His intelligence, cunning and pride that I can only really see a hint in my own dog, were so outstanding that sometimes I thought there had to be a person's soul inside him. This book is a wonderful insight into the mind of the misunderstood Border Collie and I a reference to any person thinking of getting one. I shall recomended it to any person thinking of getting one in the hopes that less of this beautiful breed end up in kennels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment