Thursday 6 November 2008

This story was a joint venture between the two above authors of which both you may have heard of they are quite reknown. They weren't for me authors I would normally choose, I am not sure why I think I like to stay with a particular author until someone recommends something else or I get bored. In this case I just wanted to get away from murder and gorey killings, investigations with cops etc... hmmm I couldnt be more wrong.

The story starts in the tibetan mountains, two travellers who aren't revealed to you are heading up the mountains to visit the monks temple. It obviously has more detail than that but the way it was written and how the story was described helped me visualise it in such a way that it made me want to find out who these characters were. So I bought it!

It's a slow starter this book but as you read on you do realise that this is necessary because further into the book just turns into chaos, the story line unfolds at such a rate after the first half that it's breathtaking. And sometimes not in a good way, there were a number of times I gasped out loud at this book too.

One of the main characters is Special Agent Pendergast, he's a strange leading man in this story not your typical tall dark hero but mysterious, quiet, almost smug with others as he has superior intellect with blonde hair and blue eyes (he sounds like bond doesnt he) but for me he did not have the suave attractiveness of a typical 'bond' like character, he was understated almost and with no romantic interests as it were in the story. This is complimented by the darkness inside him that's revealed later on in the book, this story gives you a window into the human soul and what it would be like to be completely free and ruled by evil. N0w I found this strange but in a good way a refreshing way, this story wasnt about love it is about sacrifice, darkness and the disgustingness of human nature that contains a few bright lights within it.

It's quite a mystical story but very much a murder mystery too. In fairness I am finding this book hard to describe because the plot is so intertwined if I say anything too much I will spoil it for anyone that may want to read it.

There are other stories with the main characters in Pendergast and his ward Constance Green, I will have to read more just so I can discover the relationship between these two strangest of characters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment