Sunday 19 October 2008

Mozart Conspiracy - Scott Mariani

Wow 3 books to my one I better get cracking.

I had decided to give the slasher stabby killer novels a rest for the time being and read something more mystery and far fetched as it were, I do like the escapism from time to time. The book I chose was by an author I hadnt heard of before much but wrote in a similar style to the author who wrote the bourne supremacy and is similar to dan brown who i really like.

The story is based around the theories surrounding the untimely death of the great composer Mozart and the conspiracy theory that he was part of the masons and that it was rival sects of the masons that potentially got him killed. The central character is Ben Hope who appears in another of Scott's books and I think there is a planned series of books with this character. At first it's not something I immediately warmed to although it does grab you right from the start and you learn what kind of man Ben Hope really is. A well written story that twists and turns and leaves you breathless at times with shock at some of the ordeals that characters are put through.

This book was all action and plot twists the characters were developed enough for you to start to care about them but other than Ben Hope you never really get to the nitty gritty of any of the characters. In some ways this is a relief as the book is quite a detailed and action packed one. I didnt get tired of reading this book and there are times when I couldnt put it down in places as all I could think is "has he really done that to them??" There is also a certain amount of gore which made even me cringe.

The ending wasnt one that I liked for escapism purposes but in terms of plot twist it was a work of genius as now I cant wait for the next Ben Hope book and I am going in search of the last one with him in it. It is a good read for anyone into stories written in the style of Dan Brown or Ian Fleming. Give it a try you maybe surprised at its understated start but keep reading and the surprises keep coming.

C :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment